Being a successful bartender is about more than just making good drinks. Making bartending a career involves balancing being a bartender, server, cashier, friend, maid, and psychiatrist…all while having a positive attitude!
10 Service Tips every Bartender should follow
- Positive Attitude: No one wants to deal with a crabby bartender. Remember, this is the hospitality industry. No matter how bad your day is going, you must maintain a positive attitude.
- Keeping your Bar Clean: The bar doesn’t have to sparkle, but it should never be cluttered either. Dispose of empty bottle and glasses as they appear, quickly wipe up spills, and maintain a clean working environment.
- Memorization: Not only are you going to have to remember drinks orders (and some customers will be very particular about their drinks), but it is also beneficial to remember what your customers are drinking. Being able to recall what each of the people at the bar is drinking for the next round shows you care.
- Make Suggestions: If you notice a customer being indecisive, don’t be afraid to make a suggestion. It not only shows that you are an experienced and skilled bartender, but it also shows you care.
- Keep the Bar Stocked: It is important to keep track of everything, from straws to lemons. And if something is low, be sure to replenish it.
- Don’t Play Favorites: Spend your time moving up and down the bar, making sure you spend enough time with each customer. You should be showing the same amount of care and attention to everyone at your bar.
- Card: It is your responsibility to ensure that everyone is of legal drinking age.
- Don’t Fixate on Tips: Yes, you work for tips, but that should be secondary to providing an enjoyable experience for your customers. If you do all of the little things right, the tips will come.
- Be Professional: Remember, bartending is a profession, so it is important to be professional.
- Have Fun: If you enjoy what you do, you will never work a day in your life!
If you have any questions about Bartending School or wish to register for an upcoming class, please contact the Maryland Bartending Academy by calling 410-787-0020 or visit MarylandBartending.com today!
Maryland Bartending Academy is not only Maryland’s oldest bartending school, but we also offer the most comprehensive curriculum around. We will have you ready for your new career in two weeks and then we will help you find bartender jobs around Maryland and DC! We have trained and placed thousands and thousands of bartenders into some of the busiest bars throughout not only Maryland and DC, but also the entire nation.