Being a great bartender involves more than just making great drinks, although making great drinks is a great start! But more than just being a mixologist, a great bartender is also an entertainer.
Bartending Tips: Being the Best Bartender you can be!
- It all starts with Attitude: No one likes a grumpy bartender. More importantly for you, no one will tip a grumpy bartender. Remember, people go to bars to have a great time. So even if your day has not gone the way you had hoped, put on that smile and be the best host you can be.
- Don’t Focus on Tips: Yes, you want good tips. But focusing on tips is not the way to go about it. Focus on customer service and the tips will come!
- Be alert and ready: Your customers do not want to wait to be served. So stay alert and help your customers as you see them. And if you see someone with a low drink, don’t hesitate to ask them if they want another. They will appreciate the speedy service!
- Don’t Play Favorites: Nothing is more frustrating than a bartender who stays on one end of the bar. Don’t play favorites and keep moving. Show the same amount of care and attention to everyone.
- Make Great Drinks: There it is…great drinks! You knew it would come up eventually. After all, at the end of the day, people visit a bar for the drinks. And nothing is more frustrating than a bartender that does not know how to make a drink. So do your best to familiarize yourself with the most popular drink recipes out there.
- Make Suggestions: If a customer looks indecisive, don’t hesitate to make a suggestion.
- Maintain your Bar: A messy bar is a no-no. Do your best to keep your bar clean. Wipe down the bar top anytime you notice a spill. And pick up any trash you see lying on the bar. Clear empty glasses from the bar. Your customers will appreciate it!
- Be Professional: Maintain a professional appearance and conduct yourself accordingly. Bartending can be a very fun job, but it is still a job!
If you have any questions about Bartending Tips or wish to register for classes, please contact the Maryland Bartending Academy by calling 410-787-0020 or visit MarylandBartending.com today!
Happy Holidays from the Maryland Bartending Academy!