Are you looking for a job with flexible hours and terrific pay in an exciting work environment? If so, then bartending may make sense for you. But what exactly does a professional bartender do?
A Career in Bartending: Bartender Job Responsibilities
- Customer Service: First and foremost, bartending is a customer service-oriented position. A bartender is expected to be friendly (always smiling), funny, and diligent. Guests expect to be acknowledged as soon as they walk up to the bar. Your top priority is customer service. Plus, happy customers typically reward bartenders with larger tips. So it is a win-win for both parties involved. They are happy and you are happy.
- Drinks: Customer service may be your priority, but mixing and pouring good drinks is a close second. After all, guests come in for the drinks. A good bartender will have numerous drink recipes recognized. Remember, no one wants to wait around while you look up recipes.
- Cash: Cash-handling is important, especially in a fast-paced bar environment. The cash is constantly flowing and you are expected to take payments, give change, mix drinks, smile, and diligently serve your guests all at the same time.
- Cleaning: If you have time to lean you have time to clean. You should always be moving and your bar should always be clean. Guests do not want to push through a wall of empty glasses to find elbow room at the bar.
- Knowledge: As we alluded to already, a bartender needs to be knowledgeable about the latest drink recipes. But more than that, a good bartender must know his/her bar and how to use all the appropriate instruments.
To get ahead these days, you need a good education. And bartending is no different. The bartending skills you develop at the Maryland Bartending Academy will last a lifetime. Our state-of-the-art classroom, equipped with a full range of professional bar tools and equipment, allows you to experience exactly what it feels like behind a completely functional bar.
Attending the Maryland Bartending Academy is the closest thing to real life experience that you will receive in a classroom.
If you have any questions about a Career in Bartending or wish to register for an upcoming class, please contact the Maryland Bartending Academy by calling 410-787-0020 or visit MarylandBartending.com today!
Maryland Bartending Academy is not only Maryland’s oldest bartending school, but we also offer the most comprehensive curriculum around. We will have you ready for your new career in two weeks and then we will help you find bartender jobs around Maryland and DC! We have trained and placed thousands and thousands of bartenders into some of the busiest bars throughout not only Maryland and DC, but also the entire nation.