Bartending Careers Baltimore
Maryland | Glen Burnie | Dundalk
Are you a fun and outgoing individual who enjoys making new friends and is looking for an exciting, hands-on career in the Baltimore, Glen Burnie, Ellicott City or Silver Spring region?
If so, read this article to learn about bartending careers in the area and discover the benefits you can experience by jumping into this fast-paced, ever-changing industry.
One of the most exciting things about bartending careers is that each day on the job is different. Although the bartender’s main job is to know all standard drink recipes and be able to mix them quickly and accurately, other job responsibilities can include:
- Cleaning up after customers.
- Washing all glassware and utensils.
- Collecting payment and operating a cash register.
- Serving food to customers seated at the bar.
- Ordering and maintaining liquor and bar supplies.
- Arranging bottles and glasses to make attractive displays.
In addition, one of the bartender’s most important responsibilities is to check the identification of customers to ensure that they meet the local minimum drinking age requirement.
Lastly, while it is also important for bartenders to serve customers in a friendly and helpful manner, they must also be able to determine when a customer has had too much alcohol. Bartenders must know how to politely refuse to serve inebriated customers while offering to call them a taxi to ensure their safe trip home.
Benefits of Becoming a Bartender
Bartending careers can offer many benefits that you will not find in other professions. Some of these unique advantages include:
- Freedom: Not only do bartenders work in bars and cocktail lounges, but they can also find employment in luxury hotels, popular nightclubs, and aboard private cruise ships. Forget about being stuck behind a desk from 9 to 5, bartenders can work anywhere around the world at whatever hours fit their busy schedules!
- Flexibility: As a bartender, you can choose between getting a full-time job at a nightclub, casino, or restaurant and hiring out your services part-time for special events such as weddings, yacht parties, and banquets.
- Connections: There’s always the opportunity to meet celebrities, business owners, and other individuals with a lot of power, influence, and connections. Bartenders are in the perfect position to help make someone’s night very special, and when they do, these people will want to help you out in any way they can.
- Skills: Even if you’re not interested in long-term bartending careers, the skills you will learn and develop through your training will benefit you for the rest of your life.
- Salary: Bartending in a popular bar or restaurant can help you earn a lot of money in a short amount of time. Most bartenders’ shifts last between 4-6 hours, and some earn an average of $20-30 an hour. In fact, bartenders who work in swanky hotels and exotic resorts have the ability to earn an annual salary of up to $75,000.
- Job Security: Almost everyone appreciates a cold beer, glass of wine, or mixed drink every once in a while. As a result, there is a constant demand for trained bartenders capable of serving these drinks all around the world. This demand means that the bartending industry’s employment outlook has never been better!
- Endless Opportunities: Bartending careers always offer opportunities for advancement in the industry. For example, if you decide to work in a large bar, like those located in major hotels or exotic resorts, you can qualify for the job of “head bartender” after gaining a few years of on-the-job training. As the “head bartender”, you will control all of the operations behind the bar.
Skills You Need to Become an Amazing Bartender
A good bartender is not simply someone who can “fit in” to the surrounding environment. It is someone who has a solid background and can perform the job in the most professional manner.
To become a professional bartender, you should receive hands-on training from an accredited bartending program. This training will ensure that you have an extensive knowledge of various alcoholic and mixed drinks.
In addition, to be considered a good bartender you must present a neat and clean appearance and be very pleasant and courteous to customers.
Lastly, to help you become a good bartender, you must also have excellent social and networking skills. After all, the ability to make new friends and socialize at work is what makes this job so much fun!
Although it may not look like there is much to bartending careers on the surface, these jobs are not for everyone. Only a person who is dedicated, hardworking and outgoing will be able to become a bartender everyone will love.
To see if you have what it takes to be a good bartender, take this quick online quiz.
Find the Perfect Bartending Job
Once you know that you have what it takes to be an amazing bartender, follow these steps to help you land the perfect job:
- Locate bartending schools in your area. Get help from the phone book or Internet if you are not sure where to begin.
- Contact the school to ask about tuition costs, class duration, and what skills you can learn.
- Ask the school if you can attend a free intro course to find out what you can expect once you become a student.
- Find out if the school handles job placement upon course completion. Don’t study at a school that does not provide this service to its students.
- After completing the program, apply for bartending careers that highlight your particular skill set.
Train to Become a Bartender
Founded in 1980, the Maryland Bartending Academy is the oldest bartending school in the state of Maryland.
Because our program is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission and currently holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, we know that the hands-on-training we provide will give you the skills you need to start your bartending career right away.
Our students are everywhere! We’ve helped graduates from our program secure top jobs in places such as cruise ships, ski resorts, popular nightclubs, fine dining restaurants, luxury hotels, and exotic vacation resorts.
But don’t take our word for it, read what one of our students has to say about our program:
“Before I found the Maryland Bartending Academy, I was jumping around from one dead-end job to the next. Now, thanks to the skills I learned at MBA, I have a great, well-paying job in a major luxury hotel chain in New York! I get to meet new people, even celebrities, all the time and I absolutely love my job! I would recommend training to become a bartender at the Maryland Bartending Academy to anyone looking for a new, exciting career!”
-Mindy Andersen, Baltimore, MD
We know that where you choose to practice your new bartending profession will be limited only by your imagination. Receiving your new bartending license will be like having a career in a suitcase. No matter where you travel, good bartenders will always be in demand.
How to Contact the Maryland Bartending Academy
We are more than happy to answer your individual questions about our bartending program. Please give us a call at (410) 787-0020 or fill out our quick online contact form to get in touch with one of our representatives.
We know that once you have visited the Maryland Bartending Academy, explored all the avenues open to you as a bartender, and been introduced to our Job Placement Assistance Program, you will be anxious to begin your new career as a bartender in the Baltimore, Glen Burnie, and Silver Spring area right away.